Thursday, July 14, 2011

bad reputation ...

Reputation is everything ... period ... when it comes to the photography industry. & we all know that word of mouth is not only our best source of advertisement but also the sure fire way of clearing our calender. You may be wondering why i'm writing this ... partly because it needs to be said, especially since it can have a knock on effect & cause trouble for others but also because i've seen a disturbing trend of bad work out there. 

The quality of your work is vital ... whilst we all have images that stand out as "the best of the best" (yes i did in fact quote topgun) they should be representative of all our work. Take portrait photography, when i edit a shoot i spend my time on every single image not just editing a couple & not bothering with the rest. People come to me for the because i take the time to create that perfect image or in this case 50 of them, i give it the unique "laura touch" (please no dirty thoughts) & my client walks away more than happy with the product they've received. In fact clients are often surprised with what they get simple because of bad experiences. In this instance the old adage is true ... "quality over quantity" every time. 

Another thing i've come across recently is bad communication from photographers or simply them dropping off the radar. I had a client come to me recently because the photographer she thought she'd booked stopped responding to messages. In what world is that considered an acceptable way to run a business ... reminds me a little too much of high school. 

Finally it's not just about the photography itself ... i am a great one for not proof reading (thank you to my wonderful friends for pointing out my various mistakes) but this is another area that can get you into trouble. If you don't make the time to check something over you could both put off potential clients as well as loose the ones you already have. I guess what i'm trying to say is that it's not just about a pretty picture but the whole package ... how my blog looks or the way a write my etsy store descriptions says as much about me to a potential client as the image itself. All too often we don't take the time in getting these seemingly unimportant details right when these are the things we have the most control over.

Being the popular kid in the class, choosing quantity over quality & skimping on the details may make you money now but in the long run will leave you hurting. So take the time to be the best & set the standard for those around you. 


5 comments:

  1. I adore your point of view, very true and well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. completely agree… I've noticed I may take more time than some, but in the long run, it is my reputation & name that is on the line. I want what I put out there to be a good representation of who I am as a person. I take pride in what I've chosen to do. I don't rush it, and I try to put my heart in everything I touch. well said, my friend… I'll choose quality over quantity every time…

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. I was cracking up at the terrible photos my husband brought back from his family trip to Walmart for family photos. They cost much more than they are worth, and the results were less than par. I'm so glad I know that you get what you pay for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for posting this! Oh and I absolutely love your creative descriptions on your etsy site :)

    ReplyDelete